Hidden Facts About Buyer Personae In Marketing
Customer personas help you understand your customers (and prospective customers) better. This makes it easier for you to tailor your content, messaging, tone, as well as product development, and services to the specific needs, behaviours, and concerns of different groups.
We will have a look at the purpose of buyer personas and key factors to consider when developing them in my subsequent articles.
A buyer persona for content marketing acts as a sounding board to assess what they think, how they feel and their behaviours so you can align your content to resonate best with them.
Targeting: Helps to position your products as relevant and worthy of consideration. Provides valuable insights for conveying your business, performing market research, targeting advertising, website design, usability testing and keywords for SEO.
Format: Gives you the information and perspective you need to make objective decisions about how to craft your brand messages through the most consumed and widely accepted formats. Therefore allowing you the best opportunity to create compelling content. Personas also help determine the platforms and media you use. Enables content to be created to meet the targeted needs of each profile and speaks directly to the needs of each persona.
Discovery: Personas allow you to get a grasp of your audience’s channel behaviour. They allow you to truly tailor your brand messages so you can get the best possible response by seeding through the most relevant touchpoint to your audience.
When developing customer personas, you need to carefully research each of the following:
- Objectives: what are they looking to achieve by interacting with your business? How many competitors will they consider? What information is pertinent to their decision?
- Location: where are they from? Where are they based? This will include cultural considerations.
- Job details: what’s their economic position, job?
- Platforms: what are their main sources of info? Which online platforms do they inhabit? which resources do they consult when making decisions, how influential are each of these
- Device: what are they using to access the internet? Screen size/browser speed and connectivity considerations
- Purchase behaviours: what is their path to purchase? What steps do they take when considering a purchase?
- Interests: what issues are they trying to solve? How do these issues impact their lives? What are the benefits of solving these challenges?
Understanding your personas allows you to get a fuller knowledge of not only their job title but their background. Their needs and their interest sets are important information on how to access them emotionally but also what motivates and frustrates them. This can help you paint a picture of your ideal customer. It’s vital to flesh out these personas based on their content and information needs to position your brand or business as the solution to their requirements.
The hardest working customer personas are developed with field research, focus group research, surveys and interviews with your target audience.
To get a clear picture of the behaviour of your audience personas there’s some research required. This research will confirm the online behaviours of your target audience. It is worth refreshing these personas at least once a year to take into account cultural and behavioural shifts over time.
- Does keyword establishment involve researching how users are finding your website currently, are these desired terms? Are there alternative words you’d like consideration for? What keywords are your competitors bidding for? Google Analytics and AdWords planner are helpful for this.
- Search trends involve investigating what time of day/month/year are users searching for particular terms and how this can impact on your content strategy? What gender and countries are searching for your product or service? Google Search trends will help you determine this.
- Audience insights involve asking what additional learnings can you determine about your audience to help shape your strategy e.g. social media platform usage, device usage, time of day that best suits them for consuming content, content needs, access to high-speed internet. Looking at both your Google Analytics and also the embedded social media insights panels for each platform will inform you here.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Use SEOPOZ
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you all get updates when we post new articles.