Father, help my generation not to depart from the ancient landmark of faith and godliness.
” Remove not the ancient landmark which thy father has set”- Prov 22:28
Bible Passage: 1 Sam 2:12-17
God has laid down principles for children upbringing which must not be departed from (2 Timothy 2:19). The anger of God kindles upon children who disobey God (Ephesians 5:6; Ecclesiastes 10:8). The role of parents is therefore crucial to the fulfilment of God’s plan and purpose for his children (Deuteronomy 6:6-9). While there are records of children raised in godly ways who remained on that narrow path, the Bible also has records of those who departed from the path of truth.
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1 Samuel 2:12-17
1Sa 2:12 The sons of Eli were scoundrels. They paid no attention to the LORD
1Sa 2:13 or to the regulations concerning what the priests could demand from the people. Instead, when someone was offering a sacrifice, the priest’s servant would come with a three-pronged fork. While the meat was still cooking,
1Sa 2:14 he would stick the fork into the cooking pot, and whatever the fork brought out belonged to the priest. All the Israelites who came to Shiloh to offer sacrifices were treated like this.
1Sa 2:15 In addition, even before the fat was taken off and burned, the priest’s servant would come and say to the one offering the sacrifice, “Give me some meat for the priest to roast; he won’t accept boiled meat from you, only raw meat.”
1Sa 2:16 If the person answered, “Let us do what is right and burn the fat first; then take what you want,” the priest’s servant would say, “No! Give it to me now! If you don’t, I will have to take it by force!”
1Sa 2:17 This sin of the sons of Eli was extremely serious in the LORD’s sight because they treated the offerings to the LORD with such disrespect.
God as laid down principles for children upbringing which must not be departed from (2 Timothy 2:19). The anger of God kindles upon children who disobey God (Ephesians 5:6; Ecclesiastes 10:8). The role of parents is therefore crucial to the fulfillment of God’s plan and purpose for his children (Deuteronomy 6:6-9). While there are records of children raised in godly ways who remained on that narrow path, the Bible also has records of those who departed from the path of truth.
- Children That Departed From Godly Upbringing
- How To Avoid Generational Departure
1. CHILDREN THAT DEPARTED FROM GODLY UPBRINGING
Biblical examples of children that departed from godly ways include:
- Samson (Judges 13:3-5; 14:1-3; 8-9; 16:16-17).
- Hophni and Phinehas; son of Eli (1 Sam. 2:12-17, 22; 1 Sam. 4:11).
- Solomon (1 Kings 11:4-7; Eccl. 1:1; Eccl. 2:10-11).
- Nadab and Abihu; sons of Aaron (Lev. 10:1; Num. 26:61).
- Demas (2 Tim. 4:10).
2. HOW TO AVOID GENERATIONAL DEPARTURE
In order to keep our children on the path of righteousness, parents have the following obligations to fulfil:
- Love God whole-heartedly (Deut. 6:4-6). Have a deep personal relationship with God. You cannot pass on to your children what you do not possess (John 14:21;15:10; 5:3).
- Teach your children about God, diligently. (Deuteronomy 6:7-9). If God’s Word is on your heart continually, then you will be talking about it constantly with your children (Proverbs 4:3-4, Ephesians 6:4).
- You need to answer your children’s questions about God and the Christian life (Deuteronomy 6:20-25; 1 Peter 3:15)
- Focus on obeying and pleasing God only (Deuteronomy 6:17-18) and also train your children, in agreement with your spouse, to please God in all their endeavours.
- Live out and model godly lifestyle before children (James 5:12; Matthew 5:16-17; Titus 2:7; 1Peter 5:3).
- Discipline your children in love (Heb. 12:6; Prov. 3:11-12).
- Inculcate emotional stability but do not indulge your children (Prov.19:18; Colossians 3:21).
To avoid generational departure, live a good legacy for your children.
- Mention four biblical examples of children who departed from godly ways.
- State five obligations of parents to keep their children on a godly path.
ASSIGNMENT: Mention five (5) things that can lead to the problem of generational departure.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you will get updated when we post new articles.