How To Develop A Project Schedule For Projects
In my previous article, I have looked at some of the facts that you need to know about work breakdown structure for projects. In this article I want to talk about how to develop a project schedule for projects. Follow me as we will look at that together in this article.
#1 Mathematical analysis
There is a need for you to perform a mathematical analysis to determine the time periods within which activities could be scheduled once resources.limita and other known constraints are applied.
#2 Possible impact
There is a need for you to also identify the possible impacts of any constraint and assumptions on schedule development. You need to look at how these occurrences and the presence of these assumptions and constraints is going to affect the overall project outcome.
#3 Availability of resources
You also need to consider the availability of resources for the project. You need to consider these:
- Will you have the staff you need to perform the work when it is scheduled to be done?
- Will you have access to materials , facilities , and equipment you need to perform the work when it is scheduled to be done ?
#4 Consult project calendars
You also need to consult your project calendars and assign date to activities. The following questions should be asked:
- Are there any holidays which your project team will not conduct work activities ?
- Will your project team conduct work activities on weekends ?
- When will your key project team members be taking vacations ?
- Are there any unmovable milestone dates that must be met?
#5 Access the feasibility
There is a need for you to assess the feasibility of the schedule under adverse conditions by conducting what-if scenario analysis. This will allow you to know what will likely go wrong with the project and take appropriate step to mitigate it.
#6 Resource day constraint
There is a need to consider external resources date constraints . Also, if applicable , you need to ask the following questions :
- Are there any regional or national holidays not previously accounted for?
- Do you need to make considerations for travel time for meeting.
#7 Project Management Software
You have to select project management software that best meets the need and budget of your project. Of your organisation does not require the use of a particular software program, ask yourself the following questions to make the selection:
- How complex is the project?
- Do I need to manage more than one project at a time ?
- How easy will the software be to learn and to use?
- How well will the software apt to projects that vary greatly ?
- What type and depth of analyses do I need to perform ?
- What is the reputation of the software company ?
- What do other project managers in the field use and what do they recommend?
#8 Review tough drafts
You need to review the rough drafts of the of the schedule with the project team, sponsor, and customer. You may also need to review the rough drafts with functional managers to ensure that there are no conflicts with functional managers.
You have to choose the format in which you will publish the schedule. Consider the following:
- If your audience only requires a summary level of the project’s progress in terms of milestone , consider using a milestone chart.
- If you are reviewing the schedule with your project team, consider publishing a detailed bar chart or a network diagram with dates.
- If you are preparing a presentation for key project stakeholders or upper management , consider printing the schedule in several different formats to show various views of the project’s progress versus planned progress.
Now your take on this article…
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Become Part Of our Fan Base on Facebook. Click Here.
Follow Us on twitter. Click Here.
Download Our App. Click Here
Many Crypto. One place. Use Roqqu