How To Find Out If Children Are At Risk Online
There was a film that I watched of a Teenage who was chatting with a stranger online. Because the girl was so inquisitive to know who the stranger was, she decided to arrange a meeting with the stranger. At the end of it all, She was almost physically molested by this stranger who happens to be his brother’s friend who wanted to take advantage of her. In this article, I want to tell you how to find if children are at risk online. Follow me as I will show you some of these tricks that you never knew.
Here are some of the signs that you will notice to show that they are at risks:
- The child spends more time seating at the computer
- Pornographic materials are present on the child’s computer
- The child receives phone calls and/ or gifts from unknown persons
- The child turns off the monitor or quickly changes the screen when the parent enters his or her room
- The child looks depressed and does not show any interest in talking with family and friends
How to protect children from online threats
- Ensure that your child knows about the dangers of computer sex offenders.
- Monitor what your child does on the computer.
- Use Caller ID on phones to determine who is calling the child, and block numbers that are suspicious
- Monitor the child access to all types of live electronic communications such as chat rooms, instant messages, internet relay chats among others.
- Restrict access to malicious and porn websites using internet content filtering software
- If the child is maintaining a social networking profile, look closely at what information they have posted on their member profile and blogs, including photos and videos.
- You have to check the credit account statements each month for any unusual changes that may indicate unauthorised purchases by a stranger or your child.
- You have to notify the police if someone the child met online start calling them, send gifts or trying to lure them for revealing sensitive information.
- You have to ensure that the child does not:
* Provide personal information such as name, address, phone, school name among others
*Open email from unknown strangers
* Share their photos/videos with strangers over the internet
Encourage children to report:
- The parent should encourage their children to report any inappropriate behaviour they may face online.
- The parent can encourage the child to come to them if they are being bullied or are facing predators online.
- The children may also be asked to speak to a trusted individual such as an aunt, uncle, or older sibling if they are uncomfortable talking to parents.
Internet crimes can be reported at:
You have to click on Report Internet Crime.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Use SEOPOZ
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you all get updates when we post new articles.