Unknown Facts About Marketing Automation For Emails
In this article, we will cover the terminology, features, and processes used in marketing automation for emails and the value of using marketing automation in your marketing strategy. let us consider this together in this article.
First of all, what is marketing automation? Marketing automation is a set of software tools that make the lives of marketers better. Its goal is to automate marketing actions including email, social, landing pages, and other web actions. This technology makes daily tasks easier to perform and automate a lot of repetitive tasks that marketers perform.
Marketing automation helps execute your marketing tasks in a more streamlined and efficient way. Marketing automation provides many benefits including:
- Improved marketing results via testing and optimization
- Impact on marketing teams: gives them more time to focus on important projects
- Data synchronization helps sales teams save time
- Better experience for website visitors/users because of personalized content
The top 5 established players in the marketing automation space are:
When choosing the right marketing automation software for your business, there are many factors to take into consideration. You should spend lots of time shopping around because the ROI of this kind of software takes at least 6 months to 1 year to prove. It is a long-term investment that should not be taken lightly. That being said, if you find that a certain software does not suit your needs in practice, most of these providers will go to great lengths to help you transfer your marketing assets and marketing data into their platforms.
Use TrustRadius, G2 Crowd, and other independent review sites to do your research, avail of free trials of the software, and check out customer testimonials to find out of similar businesses in your industry have seen success in the implementation of the software. At your industry conferences, discuss with others what they have found to be the pros and cons. Only then should you make the commitment to marketing automation software.
Let’s take a look at the key building blocks for any marketing automation:
- Action: What did your contact do? This is an action the user performed such as clicked an email, downloaded an eBook or registered for an event.
- Decision: Where do they go? After they performed the action, something should happen. For example, after they register for an event they should be redirected to a thank you page and also sent a thank you email.
- Timing: When should the response function happen? Timing is a key component. For example, if the user is registered for an upcoming event, email them to remind them a few days beforehand, or if they downloaded an eBook, a sale rep should reach out to them in 1-2 days.
Let’s take a look at each building block in more detail and see a real-world example of automation in place.
The first building block is Action. An action is something the users performs that causes a trigger such as:
- Submitting a form
- Visiting a page
- Replying to an email
- Clicking a link
The action in the example above is a registration form for an event, the trigger happens when the user fills out the form and clicks submit.
The next step is a decision. What should happen after the action is performed, where does the contact go?
Some of the decisions that can happen include:
- Conditions (if/else): If the user submits a form, perform action A, otherwise perform action B.
- TAGs and Footprints: Tags can be used as part of lead scoring and help you identify highly engaged users. For example, if a user downloads an eBook, they can then be ‘tagged’ in your contact database as interested in the topic of that eBook.
- Stop/start sequence: If a user unsubscribes, stop all future emails being sent to them.
For example, in this slide, the user has submitted the event-form so the decision is to:
1.Redirect the user to a ‘Thank you/Confirmation’ page after submitting
2.Send the submitter a ‘Thank you/Confirmation’ email
3.Send a ‘Reminder’ email about the event
The last step is timing. After the user performs an action and the decision is made, when should the response function happen?
Different timings include:
- Certain day of the week
- Wait time
- Based on Tags
- Before and after date
In the example above, the response function for the three decisions should happen:
1.Redirect the user to a Thank you – immediately
2.Send the user a ‘Thank You’ email – immediately
3.Send the user and a ‘Reminder’ email about the event – the user should be put in a waiting period until 1-2 days before the event when a ‘Reminder’ email should then be sent letting the user know that the event is about to happen.
Automation allows an email to be automatically sent after the user performs a certain action.
- Webform submission: the action that triggers the automation flow
- Tag: assigning a tag to the user which helps identify them and for use in segmentation (This can be more than one tag)
- Delay/Wait: a period of time the user waits before proceeding to the next step
- Send Email: send the specified email to all users who enter this step
E.g. A new user visits your website and fills out a form to find out more information about your products. You tag the user as a subscriber and with the topic, they are specified they’re interested in. The 5-minute delay is added to tempt users with special offers and promotions before they leave the website. After the waiting period expires, you send the user an email with more information about your products.
Without the use of automation, each step would have to be done manually, drastically increasing the effort and time for setting up a simple campaign.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Use SEOPOZ
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you all get updates when we post new articles.