How To Plan Content Marketing Goals For Marketers
The key types of content marketing goals we are going to look at are:
- Awareness: visibility of your brand with the target audience largely measured in impressions or reach and the frequency of this reach
- Engagement: comments/shares/likes and replies all factoring if your content is eliciting any response from target audiences
- Affinity: we then rank engagement in positives and negatives through sentiment attribution with posts via reactions, comments and negative feedback signals
- Conversion: endpoint clicks to external digital sales channels from your content using UTM tracking and custom links
- Advocacy: determined by ongoing positive engagement, user-generated content, reviews, ratings and recommendations.
Make sure to align your content marketing goals to your overall business goals to ensure consistency across customer touchpoints and a single focused message from your business. This will ultimately help drive your commercial message and avoid any confusion of proposition with your target customer.
- Consistency: in language, appearance and message of your content in line with other marketing materials e.g. platform handles or URLs.
- Timing: consider how digital/content marketing helps support other campaigns the business is running.
- Input: speak to and take into account team representation from the whole business including team members within PR, Communications, HR, Legal, Finance as there could be rich content ideas within unexpected areas of the business.
- Website: how is your content marketing impacting your website content? Consider the best structure for optimizing images/video, how is the text element of your content affecting your SEO goals, is your content helping towards e-commerce conversions?
Groove HQ is an often-quoted case study of how aligning your content marketing goals with your business goals can pay off.
What did they do?
- They ran an entire content marketing campaign with no ad spend
- Built their entire content marketing around the story of their business
- Reached out to industry influencers to ask them to chat
- Pivoted their content marketing to help assist their target audience: SMEs
- Instead of just talking about their product non-stop, they embedded themselves in the wider SME community and helped identify real pain points with their audience and provided utility to their target audience
Currently make $5m per year by taking time to understand their audience and align their content marketing strategy with their business goals.
Customer personas help you understand your customers (and prospective customers) better.
This makes it easier for you to tailor your content, messaging, tone, as well as product development, and services to the specific needs, behaviours, and concerns of different groups.
We will have a look at the purpose of buyer personas and key factors to consider when developing them in my future articles.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Use SEOPOZ
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you all get updates when we post new articles.