The Dynamics Of Digital Marketing Teams
Now that we have looked at the process, and some of the most common external stakeholders, let’s focus on the internal role of marketing and how the department works with the broader business organization.
The role of the marketing team in the broader business organization can be defined as ‘promoting the business and mission of an organization’. It serves as the face of your company, coordinating and producing all materials that represent the business. It is the marketing department’s job to reach out to prospects, customers, investors and/or the community, and create an overarching image that represents your company in a positive light—that is, your brand.
The digital marketing team focusing on an area of technology is key as the knowledge and skills required to achieve success online differ from traditional marketing skills. It requires more expertise in automation systems, ad exchange markets and new methods of consumer and data analysis. Having a dedicated digital marketing team ensures that strong skills and stakeholders are in place to manage the multiple assets and face of digital media communication.
The quality of this marketing has evolved and changed with the development of technologies, which also made the role of marketing in the business organization more complex. Today the general structure of a digital marketing department will be divided by area of specialization, through key roles such as:
- SEO specialist
- Campaign manager
- Community Manager
- eCommerce specialist
- Content marketer
- Digital Marketing Director
- UX/Brand expert
- Loyalty specialist
Each of these positions can vary depending on the size, focus, and seniority of the organization. Some individuals may undertake multiple specialities or be in charge of specific channels.
A business organization is an entity that has multiple functions in an industry as a business that provides and sells a good/product to answer a need or fix a problem, for a given group of individual. The different functions of the business organization have an impact on the digital marketer, as it provides the pulse for the entire business organization’s planning, budgeting, and future. Let’s review the different functions of a business organization and how it influences the digital marketer:
- Buying: The role of the buying or purchasing department in a business is to source, negotiate and buy raw materials that will be used to put together the product while respecting legal requirements and keeping track of accounting. The volume, quality, and length of buying and retrieving these materials will impact on the price and accessibility of the product by setting up production timelines, as well as the basis for production price (which is composed of the price the raw materials needed to build a product). It is not directly linked to the marketers, but this will affect when and how the product a be sold, how quickly, and at what market price. Additionally, marketers can find value proposition elements in the materials that are bought. For example, if they are bought from specific communities and help them grow, this could be an interesting selling point for an audience concerned with fair trade and communities.
- Production: The impact of production also affects planning, pricing and product availability. It is also a great source of messaging and content that companies can build upon. An example of this is if a company has a zero-waste policy, ensure nothing is left after the product has been built, have a low carbon impact, and are able to produce on-demand and deliver the next day. This process of production can impact how the product is sold and creates additional value. The role of the production function is to turn input like raw materials into outputs through a series of processes. The raw material comes in, is processed, and comes out with added value and functions.
- Distribution: The distribution function sets up the where, how much, and how the product will be provided to the market. Is it on a shelf, online, in a local market supermarket, independent or flagship store? The distribution channels that are set up in this function will dictate where the marketing effort needs to lead in order to complete conversion and turn in new customers. It also dictates part of the positioning of the product. For example, if the product is sold in a supermarket, the positioning might not be focused on the premium quality of a certain ingredient but maybe convenience, in comparison to if it was sold in a trendier store.
- Marketing: Digital and traditional marketing teams working towards a common goal should communicate plans and strategy to increase repetition and provide a single brand experience across all media. Within the marketing department, the digital marketing team will be in contact with: communication, design, content, public relation and press relation departments.
- Sales: Sales and marketing work hand in hand to create profit by converting leads into customers and advocates. A company that is client-facing might have two sales teams focused on each branch of audiences. Sales will work with marketing to position the product and get information assets, a key selling point that they can use to close a deal. They will also play a role in providing feedback on the product from the stakeholders met and convinced, or the ones who turned down an offer. This also provides great insights for marketing teams in order to position and avoid obstacles in the future.
- Customer Sales: After new customers are acquired, the sales team has a mission to follow up and keep these customers in the pipeline for future sales, renewals, additional products, etc. Marketing is highly involved in this process and keeping the customer interested and informed about options and potential needs they can come across in the future.
The function of digital marketing is to increase company visibility and drive traffic and leads online. Thus the internal digital marketing goals should be in direct relationship with the business objectives. Marketers should be able to evaluate their impact at a business level to legitimize their choice and value within the organization. Lacking this capacity puts the budget at risk and responsibility given to the team in the long term.
In order to prove the value of marketing, at this level marketers need to be aligned with other departments and communicate what they are doing and listen to the needs of other teams to see how they can help. Working in isolation prevents digital marketers from hearing how they could improve the content, user experience, process that could increase their performance.
For example, if the marketing and product department do not communicate efficiently, product teams could be working on launching a new product that would remain silent until just a couple of months before launch, leaving very little time for the digital marketer to prepare the necessary long term assets and strategy. Another good example is keeping close to the sales team. Because they are in the front line engaging with clients, sales teams are rich in insights and details that the customer wants and needs. By listening to this, a digital marketer can adapt without having to solely conduct research as all the information is there.
These are just a couple of examples of how other functions can influence marketing, but the reverse is also true. Because marketers have a great understanding of the audience and the market, they are capable of providing opinions on other business decisions. But only if they understand the goals of each team and can sell their idea with the right positioning.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Use SEOPOZ
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Join SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Join Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you all get updates when we post new articles.