Jesus Christ: The Great Missionary. RCCG House Fellowship 18/04/21
TOPIC: Jesus Christ, The Greatest Missionary
OPENING PRAYER: Father, please make me an incurable soul winner.
PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: The leader should ask the members: Will Christ come back again?
MEMORY VERSE: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, – Luke 4:18
BIBLE TEXT: Isaiah 42:5-8 (KJV)
Isa 42:5 God created the heavens and stretched them out; he fashioned the earth and all that lives there; he gave life and breath to all its people. And now the LORD God says to his servant,
Isa 42:6 “I, the LORD, have called you and given you the power to see that justice is done on earth. Through you I will make a covenant with all peoples; through you, I will bring light to the nations.
Isa 42:7 You will open the eyes of the blind and set free those who sit in dark prisons.
Isa 42:8 “I alone am the LORD your God. No other god may share my glory; I will not let idols share my praise.
The word missionary is derived from the latin word “mitto” which means “to send”. There is a greek equivalent called “apostello”. They both mean “to send”. Therefore a missionary may be defined or described as someone who is commissioned by a superior authority to bring a message or to carry out a work instructed by the sending authority. The missionary is sent to relate God’s salvation message to the world. Thus Jesus Christ is God’s missionary per excellence.
LESSON AIM: To explain how Christ did the work of a missionary when He was in earth.
TEACHING OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, members should be able to:
i. Follow the footsteps of Christ in the work of mission.
ii. Hunger for the qualities of a missionary.
TEXT REVIEW: Isaiah 42:5-8
i. Our text talks about how He (the Lord) will hold our hands and lead us.
ii. He also makes us to know that He has made us the light to the gentiles (unbelievers).
iii. These and others are the works of a missionary.
TEACHING METHOD: The leader should use the teaching/lecture method.
TIME MANAGEMENT: Share the teaching time using the suggested time schedule.
LESSON OUTLINES: There is one outline:
WHAT ARE THE QUALITIES OF A TRUE MISSIONARY?
- Divine call for the mission. – Isaiah 42:6
- Must be spiritually sound. – 1 Corinthians 2:14
- Must be filled with the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:38
- Must have received signs to confirm the call. – 1 Timothy 1:12, Romans 1:1-4
- Must be ready to adapt to a new culture. – 1 Corinthians 9:19-23, Philippians 4:12-13
- Must be ready to improve his/her knowledge. – 2 Timothy 2:15-16
- Must have or develop some ability to work with others. – 1 Peter 3:8, Romans 12:18
- A missionary must be able to raise or to give birth to other missionaries until Jesus comes. – John 20:2
ACTIVITY: Is it every believer that is called to missionary work?
SUMMARY: Be like Christ as a missionary.
CONCLUSION: God is a missionary. His son, Jesus Christ, is the greatest missionary ever seen on earth. God has commanded us too to take the gospel (the Good News) to the whole world. – Matthew 28:18-20
Begin to fulfill that divine mandate now!
- Father, thank You for sending Jesus as the Saviour of the world.
- Father, protect all Your missionaries and provide for their needs, in Jesus name.
- Father, harvest souls for Your kingdom through Your missionaries in their various fields.
- Father, please help Daddy G.O. and RCCG to continue to take the gospel to the unreached, in Jesus name.
- Individual prayers
ASSIGNMENT: Diligently carry out all the daily tasks outlined in the GOLDEN DIET below.
GOLDEN DIET FOR THE WEEK (print or write it out so that you can participate daily):
God takes mission seriously. A true child of God cannot do less. – John 4:34
We are saved to save others. Reconcile souls back to God. – 2 Corinthians 5:18
Matthew 28:18-20 – God commanded us to take the Good News to the world.
Luke 24:49, Acts 1;8 – The Holy Spirit and the mission are inseparable. He is the director of God’s mission.
The modern mission involves information and training. Get missionary training from missions’ school. – 1 Timothy 2:15
1 Corinthians 9:19-23, Philippians 4:12-13 – Missionary work usually involves leaving your comfort zone and going to different terrain, culture, race etc.
Proverbs 11:30b – He that wins souls is wise. Why not start evangelising now?