Ways Of Dealing With Addictions. 2/05/2021
BIBLE PASSAGE: Proverbs 31:1-7 (NKJV)
1 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
3 Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
MEMORY VERSE: “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” 1 Corinthians 6:12 (NKJV).
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Addiction is a compulsive tendency developed over a period of continuous and repeated actions or exposures to a certain substance. People with addiction use substances or engage in behaviours that become compulsive and often continue despite harmful consequences. Addiction leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. Today, many youths are suffering from different forms of addiction. What is the way out?
TEXT REVIEW: Proverbs 31:2-7.
In this passage, king Lemuel reiterates his mother’s utterances:
A. The mother had warned her son, who is now a king-v2.
i. Against addiction to women. -v3a.
ii. Against things that destroy kings. -v3b.
B. She emphasised the likely dangers of being addicted to alcohol:
i. ………………………………………. v5a
iii. . ……………………………………..v6
iv. . …………………………………….. v7
LESSON OUTLINE 1: TYPES AND SIGNS OF ADDICTIONS
The teacher should allow the class to discuss some types and signs of addiction common among youths and should guide the class through the following points:
A. Types of Addiction
- Substance addictions (Prov. 20:1; 23:29-35; Isa. 5:11-12; 28:7-8) e.g.drug abuse (cocaine, opioids-heroine, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, Tramadol, codeine, crack, inhalants, etc.), alcoholism, smoking (cigarette, tobacco, marijuana, nicotine), caffeine (coffee, coke,cola), etc.
- Behavioural or process addictions (1 Kings 11:4-5; Prov. 31:3; 1 Pet.4:3): This is addiction to mood-altering behaviours such as gambling, cell
phone and social media, the internet, love and relationships, sexual activity (masturbation, sex, pornography, etc.), eating disorders, spending
shopping, watching television, video games, etc.
- Power addiction is a kind of addiction associated with power, influence and affluence (Prov. 28:15). People who are addicted to power tend to feel most powerful when they are dominating other people, with little patience for
anything that stands in the way of their upward path. They are often extremely competitive and have a devastating need to be right. Examples are King Saul (1 Sam. 19:1; 8-10) and King Hezekiah (Isa. 39:1-8).
B. SIGNS OF ADDICTIONS: Some signs of addiction may include:
i. Developing a strong desire to use substances.
i. Engaging in the problematic behaviour
iii. Appearing dirty.
iv. Inability to fulfil obligations at school, work or home.
v. Previously enjoyed hobbies are abandoned in favour of use of substances
vi. Withdrawal symptoms.
vii. A person with power addiction may experience obsession, extreme restlessness and in extreme cases, may resort to irrational, destructive behaviour such as manipulation or bribery to achieve goals and maintain the
CLASS ACTIVITY 1: Mention other forms of addiction not in the list above.
LESSON OUTLINE 2: THE WAY OUT
The teacher should ask the class to discuss possible ways of breaking free from addiction.
- Take a stand.
a. You must, first of all, acknowledge that addiction is an affliction and you are already caught up in its web.
b. Then, you must be willing to break free from it’s bondage while acknowledging that you cannot help yourself (Ps. 51:1-4).
- Seek help (James 5:13-16).
a. You must open up to God (Prov. 3:4-5; 1 Pet. 5:7) and to people who can be of help in breaking the evil habit.
b. Surrender yourself for proper screening and therapies (pharmacotherapy, psychotherapy and spiritual therapy).
- Avoid relapse. Relapse is to addiction what backsliding is to sin and its episode is usually worse than before the treatment/deliverance (Matt.12:43-45; 2Pet. 2:20-22).
- Keep your heart with all diligence (Prov. 4:23) and renew it daily (Rom.12:1-2; Eph. 4:22-23). Addiction is really a battle of the mind.
- You must avoid exposures to all forms of triggers (1 Cor.15:33; 2 Cor. 6:15-20; Eph. 5:11-12).
- Keep the company of those who can encourage you in your journey to total victor
- It is incumbent on the brethren not to cast away the victim at this critical time (Ps. 38:11) but to show him/her love and encouragement until the victory is won (2 Tim. 1:15-16; Ps.133:1-3).
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: What counsel will you give to a youth that is struggling with a form of addiction?
SUMMARY: There are several types of addictions with obvious signs among youths. The good news is that those caught in the web can be freed with the help of God.
CONCLUSION: Withdrawal from addiction often comes with a myriad of challenges usually referred to as withdrawal syndrome. You can overcome with the help of God.
EVALUATION: The teacher should ask students to mention types of addiction known to them.
CLOSING PRAYER: Father, please keep me free from any form of ungodly addiction.
ASSIGNMENT: Write five (5) of the dangers of addiction.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Download Our App.
CEHNigeria On Google Playstore
Download Our Blog App On Google Playstore.
GET SEOPOZ. OUTSMART YOUR BLOG COMPETITORS
Have a deeper understanding of Google Search Console. Joint SEOPOZ for free.
Join Our Whatsapp Group Here
Joint Our Whatsapp Group
Follow Us On Twitter and I will Follow Back
Follow Us On Twitter
Kindly follow me on Twitter and I promise I will follow back. Aside you will get updated when we post new articles.